Thursday, April 8, 2010

Why Does it Matter?

I stumbled across a new blog today, Stuff Christians Like.  It's kind of funny, and not in that "youth leader trying to be down with the kids" kind of way, either.  The author, Jon Acuff, has a post about making fun of "Facing the Giants".  A quote from that post, "Christian movies are often like the reverse of country songs. The guy gets his wife back, his dog back and his truck back.”  Nothing gets me going like busting on some smarmy crap that gets foisted on us just because we happen to believe in God.  But, evidently, that thought makes me a Christian hipster.  And, according to Jon, that's a bad thing.  I, however, disagree.  We all need to be skewered now and then to keep our heads a normal size.  See, I think my snarky, smart-alecky attitude is actually a good thing.  I do try not to get too nasty about it though.

But, hipsterism isn't what made me write this post.  Many Christians seem to think the whole "set apart" idea means we only deal with other Christians.  On Jon's blog, he has a couple of posts about which American Idol contestants are Christians.  What the...?  Why does that matter?  Does the fact that a contestant is a believer make them more worthy of my support?  Does it make them a better performer.  I would say I wish it did, but that's my inner hipster coming out.  I kind of hope this is all meant in fun.  But, even if it is, there are folks out there who try to do business with only other Christians, associate only with other Christians, etc.  The problem with that is (I knew you were asking) if we don't move out into the world and rub shoulders with those who don't share our belief, how will they know there's another way?  Not to mention the arrogance factor.  Oh yes, whether it's intentional or not, this whole "Christian isolationism" thing comes off as arrogant.  Like we're to good to get down in the everyday mud and muck like everyone else work it out.  And, believe me, that's not a good thing.

So, how do you keep from isolating yourself, yet not get caught up in all the crap the world throws around?  Unfortunately, like much in Christianity, I don't think this is something that lends itself to easy answers and formulas.  You know that checklist or instruction book we'd all love?  The one that lays out everything step by step so we don't have to think about it or work it out for ourselves?  Yeah, that doesn't really exist.  That's why we have things like the Bible, the collected wisdom of the church fathers and leaders and even friends and family to help us figure it out.  Whether we use it or not is up to us.

No comments:

Post a Comment